Monday 11 July 2011

Lyoto Machida interested in a rematch with Tito Ortiz if it moves him closer to the title

Former UFC light heavyweight champion, Lyoto Machida has been giving his thoughts on who he could possibly face next inside the octagon after snapping a two-fight losing streak, explaining he’d happily face rejuvenated Tito Ortiz for a second time but only if it continues to move him back into title contention.
Speaking to a Brazilian reported at Guga Noblat of O Globo, Machida said:
“They wanted to put me with Ryan Bader but he lost to Tito Ortiz last weekend so, so far I have no opponent. I could have faced Rampage [again] or even Jon Jones but they will face each other next. The other opponents that I could have fought already have fights scheduled.
On the possibility of facing Ortiz once again inside the octagon, Machida said:
“If it is a really interesting thing, it can happen. Not ‘financially interesting’ but interesting in the sense of, if it would move me forward, closer to the title. Then I would surely take that fight.”
“All I ask in advance to be prepared… if they called me now, there are still more than eight weeks before the fight, I think it would give time. But less time than that, then it is more complicated, there’s not so much chance [I would take it].”
The karate master had been rumoured to be taking on former middleweight title contender, Chael Sonnen after the trash-talking American did his best to talk his way into the fight. As for who could face Machida at this point in time, it’s a tough one, but perhaps Ortiz is the man to step up to the plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive