Monday 11 July 2011

Dan Henderson hoping to defend his Strikeforce title before looking for a unification fight with the UFC champion

Strikeforce light heavyweight champion, Dan Henderson has once again insisted that he’s not about to jump ship to his old employers over at the UFC despite coming to the end of his contract with Strikeforce, explaining he’d like to defend his 205 pound title a couple of times before looking for some sort of unification fight.
Speaking via MMAFighting.com, when asked whether his upcoming fight with Fedor Emelianenko would be his last under the Strikeforce banner, Henderson said:
“I hope not. It’s the last one on my contract (but) I like Strikeforce, and I do like fighting on Showtime. … I don’t have any plans of leaving. I don’t want to leave. I’d like to defend that belt and then possibly have a match with whoever’s the UFC champ. I think that’s where the potential to both make a lot more money and have a lot more fans watch both Strikeforce and the UFC.”
“As soon as Zuffa bought Strikeforce, Jon Jones fought right after that and everybody was blowing up my Twitter about fighting Jon Jones. That would be fun for me because he’s so unorthodox. But it’s something that probably needs to be built up after I defend the belt once or twice.”
Henderson recently won the promotions light heavyweight title, defeating Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante via TKO as the fight wore on. As for his next opponent, Fedor Emelianenko, he’s looking to rebound from the first back-to-back defeats of his MMA career, losing out to Fabricio Werdum and Antonio “Big Foot” Silva. Stay tuned to MMABay for more build-up to this one as we get it.
By Michael Pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive