Wednesday 6 July 2011

Dan Henderson plans on weighing 206.1 pounds to face Fedor Emelianenko later this month

Strikeforce light heavyweight champion, Dan Henderson has rejected the notion that he’ll pile on the pounds for his heavyweight clash with Fedor Emelianenko on July 30th in Chicago, Illinois, explaining he’ll probably weigh as little as 206.1 pounds for the fight.
Speaking via MMAJunkie.com, Henderson said:
“I think I have to weigh-in over 206, so (I’ll be) 206.1 (pounds), I guess. In the past, I’ve never felt small against heavyweights. I was excited for the fight, in general, and I don’t care what he comes in at. I’ve never agreed with catchweights in the past, and I’m OK fighting up, so it is what it is.”
“I’ve never done an armbar in a fight, and I’m not 80 pounds bigger than him to lay on him. Those two losses aren’t really my style. I think we match-up real well for an exciting fight. I think I’ve got to wear him out early in the fight and really make him keep up a pretty good pace and get on top of him, as well. … I really hope he comes in great shape and motivated, re-motivated for this fight, because that’s the Fedor I want to fight.”
“[My plan is] not to lose again. I don’t know how long I’m going to fight for. I’m sue I’ve got two or three more years in me. I kind of liked having fights back-to-back for a while and then having a little time off and do it again. I’m hoping to do that again toward the end of this year going into next year – have two or three fights back-to-back, where I cannot get too out of shape. I’m getting older now. I’ve got to keep my body in shape.
“But as long as I can keep beating the young guys, I’m satisfied. I feel like I can still compete, and experience is invaluable in MMA. I’m pretty happy with the way my career has gone, and I’m not done yet.”
Henderson recently won the promotions light heavyweight title, defeating Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante via TKO as the fight wore on. As for Fedor, he’s looking to rebound from the first back-to-back defeats of his MMA career, losing out to Fabricio Werdum and Antonio “Big Foot” Silva. Stay tuned to MMABay for more build-up to this one as we get it.
By Michael Pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive