Wednesday 5 October 2011

Joe Lauzon: “No matter how it ends, I think it’s gonna be a great fight.”

UFC lightweight Joe Lauzon may be a self-professed “computer nerd” but anyone who has seen him in action when the cage door closes knows the 27-year old is far from what most would perceive such a thing to be.
A vicious competitor with a 20-6 record with the lot of victories coming by way of a finishing performance, Lauzon will take to the Octagon this weekend at UFC 136 against powerful pugilist Melvin Guillard in hopes of stalling the hard-hitter’s rise through the ranks.

Lauzon recently offered up his thoughts on Guillard as an opponent and why his personal approach to MMA has lead to not only a decision-free win column but five straight event-specific bonuses.
Dubbed a “super tough fight”, as well as “quick” and “explosive” by the Massachusetts native, Lauzon knows whatever happens Saturday night against Guillard will be memorable for all who tune in.

“If I catch him in a submission, it’s gonna be crazy; if he knocks me out, it’s gonna be a good knockout, and if I knock him out, the same thing. No matter how it ends, I think it’s gonna be a great fight,” Lauzon excitedly stated in an interview on the UFC website.

Lauzon Opens Up on Past Poor Performances

The conviction in his words comes from Lauzon’s general attitude towards fighting, a viewpoint likely shared by Guillard given his own propensity for putting adversaries away before scorecards come into play.

“You get a lot of guys that are just so content with winning, whether that means shoot a takedown and just kinda grind it out or whatever they have to do,” said Lauzon. “But that’s never been me, and I would fight a guy like Melvin a hundred times over a slow, boring wrestler that’s just gonna take you down and play it super safe and just grind it out. If I get knocked out, submitted, or whatever, I’m not really that upset. If I know I trained hard and I prepared hard and I lose, then so be it. But to have a guy just take you down and lay on top of you and not try to do anything, why even bother? Why fight if you want to just lay on top of something.”

“I don’t think either one of us are gonna have defense in mind all that much. We’re both trying to overwhelm the other person,” he concluded.

Fans can tune in to see Lauzon and Guillard get it on as the opening bout when the PPV fires up at 9:00 PM EST. Other bouts on the main card include co-headlining title-fights with lightweight champion Frank Edgar taking on Xtreme Couture’s Gray Maynard and 19-1 Jose Aldo defending his featherweight gold against well-rounded veteran Kenny Florian.

source:Fighters.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive