Thursday 7 July 2011

Anthony Njokuani very surprised his fight with Andre Winner wasn’t stopped by the referee

Nigerian lightweight striker, Anthony Njokuani has been giving further food for thought on his recent unanimous decision win over Andre Winner on the UFC 132 card in Las Vegas, Nevada, explaining he was very surprised the referee didn’t step in and stop the fight during an onslaught in the first round.
Speaking via MMAJunkie.com, Njokuani said:
“They were hurting after the fight, but they’re feeling better now. I was like, ‘Goddamn. What’s this kid made of? Granite? Steel?’ I was very surprised (the fight wasn’t stopped). I even looked at the referee for a minute, and he still allowed it to keep going on, but mad props to Andre for not going down.”
“I knew that for all that I was giving him, he was going to keep on standing and keep on coming. So I started pacing myself in the third round so that wouldn’t happen. It wasn’t a back-and-forth thing.”
On what’s next for him inside the octagon, Njokuani said:
“Whatever they think is a better match for me, that’s what I’m going to flow with. [The UFC] is doing a great job right now.”
Njokuani has put on nothing but exciting fights since making the switch to the UFC’s octagon, making him an instant hit with the fans. Can this ultra-talented striker tighten up his grappling game and make a charge towards the summit of the division?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive