Thursday 7 July 2011

Ben Askren calls out Nate Marquardt again: “The worst thing about it is he just keeps lying”

Bellator welterweight champion, Ben Askren has got the bit between his teeth when it comes to the failed medical of former UFC middleweight, Nate Marquardt, explaining the worst thing about the situation is “The Great” won’t hold his hands up and admit what he’s done before calling for him to meet him inside the cage.
Speaking via MMAWeekly.com, Askren said:
“I think it’s pretty clear, he failed not one, but two tests. I think it becomes very, very clear when his coach Trevor Wittman is coming out and saying things that goes against what he’s doing. If your coach ain’t got your back, who’s got your back? I think it’s pretty clear to me as many excuses as he makes that he was cheating and this is not the first time he’s got caught. The worst thing about it is that he just keeps lying. Own up to it, be a man, take care of your responsibilities, you did wrong, you’ve got to admit to it.”
“It’s pretty obvious. I’ve been around the block. I travel a lot to gyms. I think cheating with performance enhancing drugs runs rampant in the MMA world, and I’m okay with that, that’s their decision. I wouldn’t do it. I think there are long-term ramifications in your career, and the fact that they’re choosing to take the easy way out as opposed to training themselves naturally, that’s also going to have an effect on them long-term, that they didn’t do it themselves, that they had something helping them.”
“What I have a real issue with is when someone gets caught, you’re supposed to be a grown man. You’re supposed to be a man and part of being a man is taking responsibility for your actions. When you get caught and you just constantly lie, and lie, and lie, it’s like come on dude, just own up, be a man.
“Bring it. I want to be the best in the world and the only way to be the best in the world is to fight the people that are the best. Nate Marquardt, come on. He can’t beat wrestlers. He can’t beat a good wrestler. So I’ll take him down, I’ll wear him out, and hopefully for the fans around the world I will submit him so they don’t call me a blanket fighter.”
Marquardt has a growing support across the internet for a recall to the UFC ranks after he today revealed the real reason why he wasn’t medically cleared to fight. Will “The Great” one make his octagon return before the year is out or will Askren get his wish of a bitter showdown in the Bellator cage?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive