Wednesday 25 May 2011

UFC 130 – Miguel Torres: “The title shot is not even a big goal for me”

Former WEC bantamweight champion, Miguel Torres has been speaking ahead of his UFC 130 clash with Demetrious Johnson this weekend in Las Vegas, Nevada, admitting getting back to the title isn’t even close to his number one goal right now.
Speaking via MMAJunkie.com, Torres said:
“The title shot is not even a big goal for me. The biggest goal for me is to be the best fighter I can be and to be the most dangerous fighter I can be. They can offer me a title shot after this fight, or it could be two or three more fights. The biggest rush before when I was getting into the game was to get a world title shot right away, and that was in the WEC. I got there really fast, and I was there for a little bit, but I fell pretty hard. Now, I’m taking my time, and I’m going to build my foundation.”
“Before, I was at a level where I thought I had to be tougher than the other guy. That was what was important to me. Now when I come into the gym, I’m learning these new things.  My game was already strong. I had a big hole in my wrestling, but I knew enough jiu jitsu to get by with anybody. Striking – I thought my striking was good. I got to this gym, and pretty much my style was an aggressive, brawling style. I had no style. I had no finesse. I had no swag.”
“I know a title shot is coming. All I have to do is keep winning my fights, and the time is going to come. When I get there, I’m not going to go. I’m going to stay.”
Torres is coming off an efficient win over Antonio Banuelos at UFC 126 earlier this month, putting in the kind of performance that ensure he receives very little damage, but in turn draws a lot of boos from the crowd. Stay tuned to MMABay for more build-up to this one as we get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive