Saturday 28 May 2011

UFC 130 – Cole Escovedo talks about the milestone in his career which is reaching the octagon

Promotional newcomer, Cole Escovedo has been speaking about making his octagon debut tonight alongside talented Brazilian submission machine, Renan Barao at UFC 130 in Las Vegas, Nevada, explaining it’s a milestone in his career and one he doesn’t intend on letting pass by with any form of negative outcome.
Speaking via Sherdog.com, Escovedo said:
“Kind of a no-brainer. It’s one of those opportunities that you don’t ever really pass up when they come. It’s not like the UFC calls you every day. It was kind of either take it or don’t. It wasn’t like, ‘Hey, let me think about it and I’ll get back to you.’ It was, ‘Yeah. What’s the purse?’”
“I’ll be honest. Up until the time Sean Shelby asked me if I wanted to fight, I’d never heard of the guy. As far as who he is and what he’s done and stuff, [I’m going off] what I found on the Internet. I know he’s got a good record, solid jiu-jitsu, a solid striker, but I’d never heard of him up until this fight. I don’t really know what to think. I’m not saying it’s going to be an easy fight. I’m not underestimating him at all. You don’t get a 25-1 record by being a nobody, but it doesn’t really matter to me because at the end of the day, numbers don’t really matter. He’s got to step into the cage and fight me just like I have to get in there with him.”
“It’s going to be a milestone in my career. It’s going to mark a new chapter and it’s going to mark a new section in my life. It’s going to be a new opportunity to better myself and better my life for my family.”
Escovedo has been on somewhat of an up-and-down rollercoaster of late, winning five fight straight before dropping fights to Michael McDonald and Michihiro Omigawa. He was last seen in January submitting Steven Siler via triangle choke. Stay tuned to MMABay in the coming days for more build-up to this one as we get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive