Monday 12 November 2012

Edgar: I'm going to have to test Aldo's mettle

“I’m going to do it all. I don’t like to go in there saying I’m going to do one thing. I’m a mixed martial artist and I feel I’m well rounded enough to take the fight wherever it needs to be. I think I can stand with pretty much anybody, I think I can wrestle with anybody and I feel I can compete on the floor with jiu jitsu with anybody. He’s definitely a tall task in an opponent, but I just think fighting guys at the caliber fights I’ve had throughout the years has only got me better and I think Jose will do that as well.”

In his rematch against Henderson, Frankie took a lot of low leg kicks from Henderson that seemed to get him off his game momentarily. Aldo, of course, has been known to batter his opponents with the same style leg kick. But Frankie is well aware of Aldo’s tactics and is preparing the best he can for them.

“When Benson came out he kind of was throwing a low leg kick, which did throw me off a little bit. But I felt I made the adjustment within that first round, and I feel that rounds two through five he didn’t really catch me with it at all the rest of the fight. I’m sure that’s something Jose is going to pay attention to, being that he’s such a devastating leg kicker, but I’ve been working my Muay Thai and working some things. Like I’ve been saying, this challenge is going to make me step up and address it.”

Being that Aldo has had such a dominant reign at featherweight in both the WEC and the UFC, Edgar said that a man like Aldo, doesn’t have many flaws in his game.
“It’s tough to really put any chinks in any of these guys armor that are at this high level now. I just think I’m going to have to push him and test his metal. I think that’s what I do well, I push the pace and that’s what I’m going to have to do in this fight for sure.”


source: mmafightcorner.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive