Monday 26 March 2012

Why Miguel Torres likes Montreal

Bantamweight Miguel Torres fights Michael McDonald at UFC 145, live on Pay-Per-View, Saturday, April 21st at UFC 145. He has been training for six weeks, at three camps. Torres started with two weeks at his own gym in Indiana, followed by three weeks with Mike Van Arsdale and the Blackzilians in Florida, and is now finishing up his camp in Monteal, where, blessedly, there are no good tacos.
Torres explains in his blog.
I love Montreal. I've traveled to a lot of countries during my 14-year mixed martial arts career, and I can safely say Montreal boasts some of the best women and the best food. The only thing it seems to lack is Mexican food – which is a great benefit to my diet, truth be told – and a bit more heat.

Firas took me in at a low point during my career and I owe him a lot for doing that. While others might have turned a blind eye, he revamped me and helped bring me back to where I was supposed to be.

Although I tend to split training between separate camps, my two coaches both have the same ideas and attitude towards my career. They know the emphasis is placed on dominating my opponent, never letting up and doing all I can to get that win.

The reason for ending my camp in Montreal is simple – it's far easier to make weight out here. It's tough to find tacos out here. The good thing about Florida, on the other hand, is that there is a heavy focus on wrestling, which used to be one of my main weaknesses a couple of years ago.
The only problem I have with training is the fact it takes me away from my daughter. It's a sacrifice I have to make, though. The money I get from fighting goes towards her future, and the belts I win act as mementos, I can tell her, 'This is why daddy had to spend so long away from home – this is what he won'...
Read entire blog...via:mmafighting.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive