Monday 1 August 2011

Miesha Tate: I'll let the fans decide if I'm the new face of women's MMA (Video)

Photo by Josh Hedges/Forza LLC/Forza LLC via Getty Images
Photo by Josh Hedges/Forza LLC/Forza LLC via Getty Images
Gina Carano used to be the unquestionable face of women's MMA. That is until Cristiane Santos beat it in and bruised it up, sending her off to Hollywood and the land of coffee breaks and scripted action.
And while "Cyborg" is one badass chick, she was never fully accepted as the new face that would lead the charge for the ladies in the new landscape of MMA.
That charge has now been assigned to Miesha Tate after her fourth round submission win over Marloes Coenen at Strikeforce: "Fedor vs. Henderson" last night (July 30) in Hoffman Estates, Illinois.
How does she feel about it? She answered at the post-fight press conference:
"I'll let the fans decide (if I'm the new face of women's MMA). I just know that I became the new 135-pound world champion and I'm happy with that. I'm happy to represent women's MMA and you know, the rest I'll just leave up to you guys."
Unlike Carano, Tate is not perceived as just a pretty woman with marginal skills inside the cage. To the contrary, her skill set is built to hold her bantamweight title for a very long time.
And that could mean she very well is the new face of women's MMA.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive