Friday 24 June 2011

UFC on Versus 4 – Pat Barry plans on opening up with his strikes after becoming more comfortable with the ground game

UFC heavyweight slugger, Pat Barry has been giving further food for thought on his UFC on Versus 4 co-main event fight with Cheick Kongo this weekend in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, explaining he won’t be as cautious with his strikes this time around after becoming comfortable with what to do off his back.
Speaking via UFC.com, Barry said:
“I’m definitely becoming more an MMA fighter than just a kickboxer. At one point in time, I saw the Octagon as huge, but when I got in there and they closed the doors it would get really, really small. But lately, I’ve just noticed this and it’s the truth, that in the Octagon if you’re not afraid to fall on the ground then that is really just a big open space. If you’re not afraid to fall on the ground then there is a lot of room in there to do work.”
“For myself, I always had to be a one hit striker for fear of people getting close to me and grabbing me and pulling me onto the ground. Now without having a fear of falling down and having confidence in my strength and conditioning on the ground, I don’t have to be so cautious with my striking anymore.”
“I’m finally training with proper heavyweights and I’m becoming the type of strong I’m supposed to be. I’ve got all these wrestlers, plus I’ve got this jiu-jitsu machine, Eric ‘Red’ Schafer, as my jiu-jistu coach who just won’t stop. I’ve been working on a lot of mental focus, strength and conditioning and wrestling – a lot of that. I’m actually going to show up with muscles to this fight.”
“In his fights, he pushes forward, he pushes the pressure on people, he’ll push you against the cage and pull your legs out from underneath you with his really long reach. That’s what I expect from him and that’s what I’m looking forward to. He hasn’t gotten any worse at what he does, he’s only gotten better at it. I expect anyone to take me down because I don’t expect anyone to trade punches and kicks with me for an entire fight.”
Barry returns to the octagon eager to build on his UFC Fight Night 23 win over Joey Beltran in January. Prior to that he’d lost to PRIDE legend and his boyhood hero, Mirko Cro Cop via third round submission. Stay tuned to MMABay for more on this card and more as we get it.
By Michael Pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive