Friday 24 June 2011

UFC on Versus 4 – Joe Stevenson feels he can capture gold a little bit faster at 145 pounds

“Ultimate Fighter” season two winner, Joe Stevenson has been speaking about his decision to cut down to 145 pounds for his UFC on Versus 4 clash with Javier Vazquez this Sunday night in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, explaining he sees it as a faster route to the title at the lower weight.
Speaking via MMAWeekly.com, Stevenson said:
“I want a belt in the UFC and now that the UFC has got that 145 (pound) weight class, I’m, kind of, just zoned about getting a belt there. (Lightweight) is going to take a lot of time and hard work. It’s not a weight class that I’m scared of. It’s a weight class that’s very deep and very tough. And I just see it happening and (realizing my dream) a little bit faster at 145.
“Logically, yeah, I lost three in a row and if I look at trying to get a title shot, I’m going to have to win, at that division, nine in a row against stellar guys, whereas at this weight, with my record and the things that I’ve done in the past, (if) I beat three or four of the top guys, I’m going to have a title shot. And that’s what excites me.”
“About two years ago, I was thinking I can make featherweight. (I just) didn’t really have a cause, a want to. I mean, it just got really easy to make the weight at 155. I weighed, this morning, 155. And Melvin (Guillard) got here and he was, like, ‘my gosh, I can’t believe this.’ You know, it just takes a very strict diet and, I guess, I have a six-pack for the summer, now.”
The former lightweight title contender is in dire straights after dropping a number of fights over the past year at 155 pounds, losing to George Sotiropoulos, Mac Danzig and Danny Castillo. Stay tuned to MMABay for more build-up to this one as we get it.
By Michael Pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive