Saturday 29 January 2011

UFC 126 – Chad Mendes looking forward to making his octagon debut, expects Omigawa to be at his very best

Former WEC featherweight contender, Chad Mendes has been speaking ahead of his upcoming octagon debut at UFC 126 on February 5th in Las Vegas, Nevada where he’ll take on Japanese star, Michihiro Omigawa on the preliminary card portion of the evening, explaining he’s expecting to have a very tough fight on his hands.
Speaking via MMAWeekly.com, Mendes said:
“It’s just nuts; coming straight out of college and getting into the fight game. I expected to do well, but I never thought I would in this short amount of time I’d be fighting in the UFC.  The whole experience has been awesome.  I definitely didn’t expect to be where I am right now, but I’m thankful for everything.
“Stepping up in competition and facing Omigawa, for me it’s the perfect match-up.  His style, my style; I think it’s going to be great for me.   His stand-up to me doesn’t seem like the best stand-up and he’s not super fast.  He’s kind of awkward with it and somewhat effective. I’m looking for his tendencies.  We’re just setting up our game plan around that stuff.”
“I’m definitely not looking past Omigawa; he’s a tough opponent.  I would love to get in there and fight (Aldo).  I’m at the point in my career where I feel confident. I’m training the way I should be.  Basically, it’s wherever the UFC wants to put me, but I personally feel that I’m ready for it. I want my shot, but I’m not getting greedy.  My time will come; when it’s going to happen, it’s going to happen.”
“I’m really excited.  There are some nerves, but I think that’s good; that’s healthy for someone that’s competing.  Those nerves keep you alert and focused.  This is a great opportunity for me so I’m not taking him lightly and I’m training my butt off.  I’m expecting to see the best Omigawa there ever has been and he better expect to see the best Mendes there ever has been.”
Mendes is currently undefeated in his mixed martial arts career at 9-0 having won his last four fights inside the WEC cage. With wins over Cub Swanson and Javier Vazquez on his resume, this 145 pounder will no doubt be looking to make waves when he hits the UFC in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive