Thursday 30 June 2011

UFC 132 – Melvin Guillard declares he’s the best lightweight in the world… now he just has to prove it

UFC lightweight star on the rise, Melvin Guillard has been speaking about his position in the division ahead of his UFC 132 clash this weekend with Shane Roller in Las Vegas, Nevada, explaining as far as he’s concerned he’s the best 155 pounder in the division and now it’s down to him to prove it.
Speaking via MMAFighting.com, Guillard said:
“I can sit here and say that from my heart and from my soul. I know I’m the best 155er. I know when guys are scheduled to fight me, I know they don’t want that fight. A lot of times, their managers probably go other routes of wanting to fight other guys. I’m the one guy that fighters right now don’t want to fight, because this is my time. I’m at the peak of my career, and I’m not even in my prime yet. I just hit 28. I still haven’t gotten old man strength yet. Right now, every fight’s going to be tough, and I’m not knocking any fighter in my weight class, but I’m one tough dude, man. I’ve taken my beatings. I’ve taken my lashes. I’ve been knocked down. And I’ll be damned if I’ll let anybody knock me down again in my life.”
“You see a lot of guys come and go. They get cut all the time. I think a lot of guys are worried too much about title fights and winning belts. I care more about keeping my job and always being able to give you guys great fights. I always ask myself, how would I feel if a kid walked up to me and said, ‘Hey when’s your next fight in the UFC?’ and I’m not in the UFC anymore. That’s kind of heartbreaking as a person. You feel like a failure. I try my hardest to not worry about the hype and title fights and rankings. I just want to keep fighting, bring you guys great fights, and I treat every fight like a title fight.”
Guillard is coming off a very impressive knockout win over highly touted Evan Dunham in the main event of the UFC Fight Night 23 event in January. The Greg Jackson trained fighter called for a title shot following the fight.  Stay tuned to MMABay for more build-up to this one as we get it.
By Michael Pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive