Friday 24 June 2011

UFC 132 – Dominick Cruz and Urijah Faber both have the same goal heading into July 2nd showdown in Las Vegas

UFC bantamweight champion, Dominick Cruz and current number one contender, Urijah Faber have been giving their thoughts on their UFC 132 clash on July 2nd in Las Vegas, Nevada, explaining they both have the same goal of proving they are the best at 135 pounds.
Speaking on the UFC 132 pre-fight press conference call Cruz said:
“With me you can look at my seven fights and see a big difference since I fought him. Kicks, ground game, wrestling. My body’s changed. You name it. It’s been four years. Everything’s different in this fight, and he’s fighting a completely different person.”
“For me, I do a pretty good job not making it emotional in my brain. While I’m not real fond of Faber, at the same time, once I get in a fight, I fight just as hard with somebody I don’t like as somebody I have no problem with. Once I get in there, it’s no big deal. I just do my job and try to beat the crap out of whoever is in the cage with me.”
“I don’t hate the guy, and I don’t wish him ill will. I just want to go prove that I’m a better fighter than him.”
Faber was also on the call and spoke about his own evolution as a fighter over the past couple of years, from losing the featherweight title to his drop to 135 pounds.
“I’ve never been really an emotional fighter but that’s because I usually feel kind of indifferent or kind of like the guy I’m fighting. But in a real situation, if I were to fight, the only reason I would fight is if I didn’t like somebody. So, I think it makes it easier.”
“Bottom line is, I’m the best 135-pounder in the world, and it’s my time to prove it.”
Cruz is on an impressive eight fight winning streak after defeating the likes of Joseph Benavidez and Scott Jorgensen in his last two bouts inside the WEC cage. This fight will be his first inside the UFC octagon. As for Faber, he recently made his octagon debut at UFC 128 in Newark, New Jersey, defeating another former 135 pound champion, Eddie Wineland via unanimous decision after seemingly losing the first round.
By Michael Pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive