Wednesday 22 June 2011

Tyson Griffin gives himself a new goal of climbing the featherweight divisions ranks

Long-time member of the UFC’s roster, Tyson Griffin has been speaking about his decision to move down in weight from the lightweight division to 145 pounds for his next fight inside the octagon and how his body has adjusted to the new demands placed upon it.
Speaking via UFC.com, Griffin said:
“My goal right now is to climb to the top of the featherweight division and get that belt. I’m more hungry now as a fighter, and more focused on fighting now than I’ve ever been. I’ve always enjoyed fighting and it was fun and it paid the bills, but now it’s more about personal goals and reaching my peak as an athlete and being the best fighter I can be.”
“It (the weight cut) hasn’t affected my quality of life at all,” he said. “I’ve been eating good, eating healthy, and when you eat healthy and have a lot of fruits and vegetables, you can actually eat more volume. I don’t know how everybody else does it, but I don’t calorie count; I can’t do that, my brain just doesn’t work that way (Laughs), and my body doesn’t either. So if I’m hungry I’m gonna eat something good and healthy and keep my body full of energy. Mainly, I’ve just upped my training and I’ve been working out a lot harder and a lot more.”
“It’s a fresh start. I’m not really worried about winning or losing, and that’s something that comes from competing over the years. I hate losing, of course, but I’m not focusing on not losing; I’m focusing on doing what I’ve been working on, fighting hard and having a good fight. With all that going down good, I should win and it shouldn’t be an issue.”
When asked for his opinion on his UFC on Versus 4 opponent, Manny Gamburyan, Griffin said:
“He’s a tough guy. He’s got knockout power, he swings hard and fights hard, he’s always in good shape and that’s what I want. I don’t want any easy fights, I never really had any, and it’s awesome to get someone who fought for the title, a contender, in my first fight at 145, and I’m looking to make a statement when I fight Manny. I want to dominate him and beat him convincingly.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive