Thursday 26 May 2011

UFC Quick Quote: Georges St. Pierre is light years away from becoming an Olympic wrestler

Photo via UFC.com
Photo via UFC.com
"It is a bummer because the sport is losing good guys like Daniel Cormier, Mo Lawal, Ben Askren, they almost lost me for a bit. It's happening because guys are seeing MMA, I hate to say it, but it's an easier sport than wrestling. Wrestling is a sport, just like boxing, it's been around for hundreds of years ... If [Georges St. Pierre could make the Canadian Olympic Wrestling Team], he'd be the best athlete of all time. I'd shake his hand. To answer that question, no, there's a big difference between Georges St. Pierre and scoring a point on our elite wrestlers here in the U.S., even Canada. Canada isn't as elite as the U.S. but he's years away from becoming anything Olympic level. If he did, I'd literally, I don't know what I'd do, I'd probably jump off a building ... When I think of a world class wrestler, I think of Mo Lawal. That's the only guy I really see. Cain Velasquez was good but he was an All-American, fourth place. The other guys, they were good college wrestlers but there's a big difference between world class here in the states. Light years I guess you could say because of international competition."
Don't count 2008 Olympic gold medalist Henry Cejudo among the believers that UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre has any kind of chance of becoming an Olympic wrestler. "The American Dream" tells the SB Nation that scoring takedowns inside the cage and demonstrating good hip movement may dazzle the un-initiated audience, but it hardly qualifies the Canadian for world-class competition. Any wrestlers out there ready to corroborate these statements? Or is this just sour grapes because mixed martial artists have used wrestling to become bona fide superstars?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive