Sunday 29 May 2011

UFC boss unhappy with Nelson, will meet with "Big Country" to determine next move

LAS VEGAS – Following his second straight unanimous-decision defeat, Roy Nelson (15-6 MMA, 2-2 UFC) refused to be any less jovial than he was prior to his one-sided loss to former heavyweight champion Frank Mir.

He jokingly blamed new training partner Dan Hardy and his "British wrestling" for being outgrappled by Mir during the UFC 130 contest. He facetiously faulted Canada for infecting him with a flu strain during his recent trip north.

It was textbook "Big Country," and as he always does, Nelson kept a room full of reporters thoroughly entertained. However, UFC president Dana White suggested the laugh track may soon come to a screeching halt.

"I thought Roy looked terrible tonight," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) following Saturday night's post-event press conference. "I thought it was terrible. I thought it was embarrassing.

"I don't know (what Nelson's future holds). I have a meeting with him on Friday, and we'll see what happens."

Nelson's rotund frame has become part of his signature appeal, the everyman making good in a world of muscle-bound physiques. But after flashing signs of complete exhaustion in the final frame of his UFC 130 co-feature contest – the second-straight fight in which Nelson showed incredible heart but suspect conditioning – long-standing cries of a need to shed some weight only gained more steam.

That is, with just about everyone other than Nelson.

"I've just got to get bigger, stronger, faster," Nelson said. "I think that was really the only thing. The standup, not so much. I think the only thing that hurt me – or not even hurt me, but that hit me clean – was an elbow when I was on my back.

"It's really just bigger, stronger, faster. Just go out there and just push the pace. I just got outwrestled because my mindset was a little bit different. Mine was just hit Frank in his face more than he hit me. I just got outwrestled."

At 6-feet tall, some MMA pundits have suggested Nelson should make a drastic move and drop all the way to the light-heavyweight division. White said he would settle for something far easier.

"Or if he would consider 240, maybe?" White added when MMAjunkie.com asked Nelson if he would consider 205 pounds.

Nelson turns 35 years old in June, and though he's come up short in his past two fights, it's been against a former champion and the current No. 1 contender. Nelson has a loyal fan following, and his will is unquestionable after enduring 30 minutes of punishment in his past two fights.

Just what that means going forward will likely be determined in the Friday meeting.

"I'm not happy about the performance from either [Nelson or Mir]," White said. "I thought it was borderline embarrassing.

"If they were earlier in the card (it would be fine), but being in the co-main and the main event position is when you take the most criticism. When you're the co-main or the main event, you've got to go out there and perform and look good. When you don't, you're going to hear my opinion about it – and the fans and the media, I'm sure."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive