Wednesday 26 January 2011

UFC 128 – Brendan Schaub talks about turning Mirko Cro Cop into a monster to help him prepare for what’s to come

UFC heavyweight on the rise, Brendan Schaub has been speaking about his mental preparation for his upcoming UFC 128 bout with Mirko Cro Cop in March, explaining he’s making him into a monster so that he trains harder in the build-up tot he fight.
Speaking via MMAFighting.com, Schaub said:
“With [Cro Cop], if I really want to get scared I watch him in K-1. That’s if I really want to get freaked out. Every guy I fight, I create just this monster out of him. It doesn’t matter who it is – [Chris] Tuchscherer, Chase Gormley – I just make them into these nightmares. It makes me train harder and makes me so much sharper in the cage. It gets me focused.”
“In MMA, it’s weird. If a quarterback in football has a horrible game, he has next week to prove himself again. People jump on and jump off. In MMA you lose, especially if you’re a vet and you’re fighting maybe twice a year, but you lose and people write you off. Like with [Gabriel] Gonzaga. Gonzaga is an absolute nightmare. That guy, he lost to Shane [Carwin] and [Junior] Dos Santos, and to Randy Couture for a title.”
“But when I beat him people were like, ‘Yeah, but he’s kind of at the end of his leg with the UFC.’ Really? He beat, like, 98 percent of the UFC heavyweights. With Cro Cop it’s the same thing. That guy’s tough, man. That’s why I train so hard. It’s a lot of pressure.”
Schaub is currently on a three fight winning streak which includes two first round knockout wins and a unanimous decision win over former title contender, Gabriel Gonzaga late last year. The sole loss of his career came at the hands of former IFL champion, Roy Nelson on the season ten finale of the reality show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive