Saturday 15 September 2012

Zahabi: I would have preferred GSP waited

Georges St. Pierre’s camp believes he’ll be fully recovered from tearing his ACL when he climbs into the Octagon Nov. 17 against Carlos Condit, but a little more time would have been preferred.
“It was tough,” trainer Firas Zahabi told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Rewind” show. “I would have preferred, obviously, if he could have waited a little longer.

I think it would have been the best, more ideal, but Georges really wanted to fight. The fans wanted to see him fight. The fight’s coming to Montreal. I told Georges, ‘Let’s do one last sparring. Let’s see where you’re at in sparring.’ And he did great. He went all his rounds. He went with every UFC fighter. He looked fantastic, and we said, ‘Look, you’re ready. Let’s do it.’”

“The only reason I said I would have liked to wait longer is because I wouldn’t want to rush the healing process, not that we did, but we really did it right on the deadline,” Zahabi said. “They said, ‘OK, you’ll be ready for this kind of training then,’ and we really hit it right away on that date, as soon as he got verified and all that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive