Tuesday 20 December 2011

McGregor: I'm too slick


CONOR McGREGOR says he’s expecting “a good scrap” with Steve O’Keeffe in their February bout in London, but the Irishman insists he’ll be too hot for his opponent to handle.

McGregor (9-2-0) will take on O’Keeffe (5-1-0) in what’s expected to be an exciting battle between two highly-rated rising stars in the featherweight division. Both fighters have Cage Warriors experience – most recently O’Keeffe submitted Dean Reilly at CWFC 44 in October, while McGregor defeated Aron Jahnsen by TKO at Fight Night 2 a couple of weeks earlier.

McGregor has plenty of respect for O’Keeffe but he believes the 25-year-old Londoner won’t stop him from securing his tenth professional victory.

”I know Steve has a tidy record and a few wins by submission,” said McGregor, a member of Dublin’s SBG team. ”It’s a good match stylistically but there’s only going to be one outcome on the night. I’m too slick for these guys in all ranges.

”I hit like a heavyweight and move like a flyweight. I was ready for this fight yesterday, let alone in eight weeks. I’m looking forward to having a good scrap with him but most importantly having fun in there. That’s all I’m really focused on.”

McGregor’s clash with O’Keeffe at Cage Warriors 45 at the HMV Forum will be his third CWFC bout but his first in London, having previously fought in Cork and Amman. The Dubliner said: “I’m very excited to be making my London debut, the home of Cage Warriors. I’m coming out to impress in this fight and make my way towards the gold.

”I’m sure he’ll have support there with it being his hometown but it’s something I haven’t even given much thought to. I’ll have support there on the night as well but, if I’m being honest, it makes no difference at all to me. It’ll be only me and him inside the cage at the end of the day.”

For now McGregor’s sights are set solely on Steve O’Keeffe, but challenging for the CWFC featherweight title is his ultimate aim. The 23-year-old, who’s keen to be matched for Cage Warriors 47 in his hometown in May, added: “My plans for 2012 are to train hard, keep fighting and keep winning.

“I’m very happy Cage Warriors are coming to Dublin and I can’t wait to fight in my hometown. They know that belt is mine in Dublin but I’m not looking beyond February in London for now.”
 
Cage Warriors Fighting Championships now available LIVE in USA, Canada, UK, Ireland & Africa via the following TV partners:
                 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive