Sunday 23 October 2011

Nick Diaz Says B.J. Penn is Better than Georges St-Pierre

Nick Diaz was originally scheduled to face Georges St-Pierre for the UFC welterweight title at UFC 137, but was pulled from the fight after missing two media obligations to promote the event. He was kept on the card, though, to face B.J. Penn, who Diaz says is a better fighter than St-Pierre.

“I think B.J. is a lot better fighter to be honest with you, on a technical standpoint. He’s much better at jiu-jitsu, boxing, even on a physical level I wouldn‘t count him out. I don’t think he should be fighting at this weight,“ said Diaz on a recent media conference call. “I think he’s a much better fighter than GSP all-around.”

Diaz isn’t happy about fighting Penn, someone he knows, likes, and has trained with in the past.

“I’m not happy about it at all. I’m fighting a guy that’s my friend, or was my friend and now I’m fighting this guy. I’ll be set to fight,” said Diaz. “I signed to fight a certain guy (St-Pierre). I thought we had a deal. That’s kind of where I’m at on it.

“I’m going to deal with it. This is hard times, just like it’s been. I’m not expecting it to get any easier,” he continued. “This definitely doesn’t make it any easier. I don’t like fighting people that I already know, or I’ve already met, or trained with, or have video on me. We’ve spent a lot of time training together. It’s kind of shady feelings going into fights like that. I’m just doing what my manager says.”

Diaz made it clear who he’d rather be facing on the UFC 137 fight card.

“I would have preferred to fight GSP, of course, because it’s not like I’m fighting somebody that I already know. I’m fighting for the title. That’s why I started this. That’s why I’m fighting for the UFC, because I came to fight for the title. I came for the money. I came to fight for the title. That was the GSP fight. Now I’m not getting that fight,” he said.

“I think I have the right skills and the right tools to do the job in that fight. I don’t know if this fight is going to make me come off any better or worse. I know that I think that Georges comes out; he’s a little bit bigger than B.J. size-wise, so he’s able to hold B.J. and stall for the rounds. I don’t think he would have been able to do that to me, especially in a five-round fight, so I was looking forward to that. I think that

via:mmaweekly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive