Monday 10 October 2011

Cage Rage interview's Light-Heavyweight Title Challenger Nick Chapman

This week Cage Rage caught up with Light-Heavyweight Title Challenger, Nick Chapman 2 weeks before he takes on the UKs Undefeated, Undisputed champion, Jimi Manuwa.

1. Nick you've made a rapid rise in MMA and now fight Jimi Manuwa for the Cage Rage UK title. Has this quick rise up the ladder even surprised you?

Of course it has surprised me, I started out just wanting to fight. I never thought in a million years i would be fighting for the UCMMA title. I am excited and very pleased to be where i am today. I am truly living the dream.

2, Jimi has not fought for over a year, do you feel this will be an advantage to you?

I do not feel i have many advantages over Jimi ha ha. This is certainly not something i am thinking will help me. Jimi is tried and tested and i do not think that Jimi is concerned about it either.

3, Jimi is obviously a strong striker with 8 of his wins coming via TKO. Do you plan to stand with Jimi or use you strong ground game?

I train in every area and although i have a game plan (a secret one) i will be prepared to fight wherever the fight dictates. I do not allow myself to have strengths and weaknesses i very quickly focus on areas that are lacking, and develop them to be as rounded a fighter as i possibly can.

4, Have you watched Jimi's previous fights or do you just concentrate on your own game and skills?


I care not, what Jimi is going to be doing, i feel that will detract me from my game plan. I am only concerned on what i have to do in order to win. I have learnt not to waste time and energy on uncontrollable. That being said i have seen Jimis fights and i have a good understanding of his style.

5, In your previous fight you won the UK1 LHW title. Do you think that fight was perfect preparation and has given you more confidence heading in to this high pressured fight?

My last fight was a disappointment i wanted a fight but it ended in less than 2 minutes. It certainly hasn’t helped me prepare me for what Jimi is going to bring although the pressure was quite intense with big expectations on me. The good thing about this fight is the pressure is all on Jimi not me.

6, Away from the cage you are all set to open your MMA gym Fight Science. How proud are you to finally be opening the gym after the problems with the Guildford council?

Guildford Council have been great they approved planning for the site but it was the landlord who later decided to pull out of the deal and leave me hanging. However i believe in fate and subsequently found an awesome site in Aldershot which is better than the last. I am so fortunate and of course will be very proud to launch my very own gym. I have the most amazing backing from Lifefitness and Hammer Strength, an awesome association with the top Sports Scientists in the world from 76 Harley Street, sponsorship from Ringside Boxing, www.FeelFreeNutrition.com , and much, much more. This place is going to be off the hook. I cannot put it into words just how huge this place is and what i have going into it. Its a must see to believe situation.

7, You have a close working relationship with Harley Street. Could you tell us a bit more of what they do and what you have been working on?

These guys are amazing, they are all down to earth and very welcoming. They have very kindly invited me on to their Elite Athlete Performance Programme which includes, nutrition, Physio, Ultra Endurance training and much more to help me be the best that i can be. They have the most amazing state of the art, scientific equipment to help me train, monitor progress and test various fitness attributes. They have also helped me develop training protocols for my guys a Fight Science and they are offering resources and guidance exclusively to us. This is an opportunity unrivalled in the UK fight scene. Everyone coming into Fight Science Gym will benefit from their input. I have access to a network of world leading experts in absolutely every area of sporting performance and human health possible.

props:
Harry Shoebridge
Co-Promoter & Head of PR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive