Tuesday 2 August 2011

Vitor Belfort still pining for 'Spider' rematch

Photo
Vitor Belfort has his eyes of the prize -- but is he overlooking Yoshihiro Akiyama in the process?
The former middleweight number one contender will lock horns with the sexy one this Saturday night (Aug. 6) in the co-main event of UFC 133: "Ortiz vs. Evans II" from the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
And according to "The Phenom," a win over "Sexyama" in "The City of Brotherly Love" gives him the credentials to challenge Anderson Silva for the 185-pound strap should "The Spider" successfully defend his title against Yushin Okami at UFC 134 in "Rio."
Belfort, who went limp after having his teeth kicked in by his fellow Brazilian at UFC 126 earlier this year, has already gone on record, several times in fact, to plead his case for another title fight.
The Las Vegas Sun has more:
"I have a fight with Akiyama, [Silva] has a fight in Brazil and then I want to fight for the belt. That’s my goal. I want that thing around my waist. I think I have all the credentials that someone needs to fight for the title. I was ready to beat him that night and he knew that. But he caught me and that was it. I have no excuses, but I think he had a lucky night."
Has Akiyama's recent struggles given Belfort a false sense of security?
The mercurial Judoka will enter the cage on a two-fight skid, having dropped consecutive bouts to middleweight mashers Chris Leben and Michael Bisping, respectively.
However, the former K-1 bad boy has earned himself "Fight of the Night" honors in all three of his Octagon appearances. That's a track record that speaks for itself.
Anyone think Belfort's quest to exact revenge on Silva will cost him on fight night? Or does he still beat Akiyama, focused or unfocused?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive