Monday 1 August 2011

UFC 133 – Rashad Evans eager to step back inside the octagon after a long fourteen months away

Former UFC light heavyweight champion, Rashad Evans has been speaking about finally stepping back inside the octagon this weekend at UFC 133 to face another former title holder in the form of Tito Ortiz, explaining it will feel good to get back into the mix after fourteen long months away.
Speaking to MMABay.co.uk via a recent teleconference call, Evans said:
“I’m very interested to get back in the cage. It’s been a long 14 months, a lot of up and downs inside and also out of the cage. So I’m looking to getting there and just get used to competing again. It’s been a long time. I love to compete and being out for 14 months, it was hard for me to do. I had no idea I was going to be out this long, but, you know, things happen and the circumstances arise. So, I’m just happy to get back in there and I’m happy that Tito Ortiz took the fight and I got a chance to fight.”
“I think he’s going to try to come out a little bit aggressive. He’s believing in himself a little more. He’s got his win a couple months ago so he’s still riding off that momentum, but he’s feeling good. His (body is) feeling good, so he said. I expect to see Tito Ortiz reenergized and ready to (get) in there and put up a good fight. I still think Tito’s definitely got a lot better in striking. But I’m not really worried about his striking, to be honest. I think for the most part what I need to worry about is just my own execution. And as long as I’m aware of my own execution, it doesn’t matter what Tito Ortiz does.”
“It’s nothing personal and because I’ve (been) out for so long, I want to go out and just really feel good in there and take my time and be patient and not try to rush for things. Just trying to see where the fight goes. I don’t have in my mind where I want to take the fight yet. So I just want to go in there and see what Tito Ortiz is doing, where the fight’s going to go, and then take it where I want it to go.”
Evans had indicated the to Las Vegas based promotion that he was happy to fight anyone on August 6th, with not only Ortiz but Lyoto Machida and Vladimir Matyushenko mentioned as possible stand-in replacements. Stay tuned to MMABay for more build-up to this one as we get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive