Friday 5 August 2011

BAMMA 7 – EFRAIN ESCUDERO-interview

Signed up to BAMMA on a three fight deal, Efrain Escudero joins the burgeoning lightweight division to make his first appearance in the UK against Tim Radcliffe. It is a fight which highlights the promotions progressive attitude toward developing the sport in Britain as well as bringing over some of the best and most exciting competitors.
Efrain fits that bill perfectly. A winner of The Ultimate Fighter season 8 and already a veteran of the game at just 25-years old, ‘Hencho en Mexico’ brings an impressive skill set to his bout at BAMMA 7 in Birmingham.
“I’ve never been to the UK before but I am really excited about it. I know I’m fighting a British guy but I hope the fans accept me,” says the lightweight stand out.
“My contract with BAMMA should see me in the UK competing for a year so I am looking to make the most of it and have some fun,” Efrain explains, perhaps hinting at a possible title shot against either Rob Sinclair or Leonardo Santos who fight for the belt on the same night.
Training out of the MMA Lab in Arizona, Texas Efrain has no shortage of top level training partners to help him prepare and stay sharp for his up-coming debut in the UK. However, the NCAA wrestler has been taking as many fights as he can in the lead up to Radcliffe.
“My focus is on Radcliffe now. I’m coming off a good win but as an athlete I like to stay active. It helps me stay in shape and stay sharp.
“Competition is the only way to get better and the more experience I have and the more active I can stay will all go to helping me improve and stay focused.”
Taking on the dangerous Tim Radcliffe (11-4), Efrain is looking forward to tackling one of Britain’s top 155lb fighters.
“I have heard about Radcliffe and I know he’s been around in the game for a while,” says Escudero in measured tones.
“I know he has good Jiu-Jitsu and decent stand up but I’m not scared. I’m a brawler and a banger and I’m definitely not afraid to go to the ground.
“Jiu-Jitsu and wrestling is something I’ve been doing a long time; it is what my gym is known for. I train with guys like Ben Henderson. Being able to catch that guy in a submission gives you a lot of confidence. I definitely think I’ll have the upper hand in the wrestling.
“I know Radcliffe is tough but I’m not afraid. I’m looking forward to standing and trading shots.”
A win might well offer the American based fighter a chance to take a shot at the title but first off he has all his focus on Tim Radcliffe.
“I respect all fighters but it is our job to get in there and put on a show and that is what I’m going to give the fans,” says Efrain, adding ominously, “Once the cage door closes and I’m facing Radcliffe then it is time to perform.”
BAMMA 7 at The National Indoor Arena in Birmingham is live on Syfy (UK), The Fight Network (Canada) and online worldwide at www.bamma.com on Saturday September 10th 2011. Tickets are available now from www.bamma.com and www.theticketfactory.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive