Sunday 10 July 2011

UFC Quick Quote: Pat Barry details knockout loss to Cheick Kongo

Photo via ESPN
Photo via ESPN
"I thought I was standing face-to-face with him. So when the doctor said, 'Can you try to sit up for me?' I looked at him like, how am I going to sit up when I'm already standing? That doesn't even make sense. You're the worst doctor in the world. You should be fired. I was like, this is what this feels like? First, I was having this little moment, almost like when you're a kid and you finally get on that scary rollercoaster, like the Texas Giant that you've been avoiding for years and years. Then you finally get on and you realize it's not that bad. Guess what, you don't die when you get on it. ... I got knocked out, but I'm still alive. I can get up, walk around, still function. I'm okay. It's not as bad as I thought."
-- Pat Barry, in an interview with MMAFighting.com, details the crushing knockout loss he suffered at the hands of a down but not out Cheick Kongo this past June 26 at UFC on Versus 4 in Pittsburgh. "HD" had the Frenchman on the ropes, having rocked him and flash knocked him out at least twice. But in his zest to finish the job, Barry got caught coming in and knocked into next week, resulting in one of the greatest come from behind wins in Octagon history. And, as it turns out, taking a forced nap isn't nearly as bad as the Duke Roufus trained kickboxer thought it would be. Which is good to hear because it looked ugly as all hell. Barry also absolves the referee of any fault for not stopping the fight sooner, saying Dan Miragliotta made the right call letting the fight continue because of the eventual outcome. Hindsight is 20/20, right?

by Geno Mrosko

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive