Thursday 14 July 2011

UFC Quick Quote: Georges St. Pierre won't let Nick Diaz get into his head

Photo
"He can throw punches, but he's a good mix [as an MMA fighter] too -- a well-rounded guy who's on top of his game right now. ... I fight with my heart, not my head. For me, it's a business. I like my opponents. I need them to make money, so someone like Nick Diaz, let him do what he's going to do. Some guys might let him get into their game. I'm not like that."
-- UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre is using fresh tactics to deal with his UFC 137 opponent, Nick Diaz, and his proclivity for trash-talking. "Rush" tells the Los Angeles Times that he actually likes his opponents and from the sounds of it, he's welcoming the Stockton slugger's pre-fight gamesmanship because it will help sell the pay-per-view (PPV) going down on Oct. 29, 2011 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. Making money is never a bad thing but is the French-Canadian really going to make it all the way to Halloween weekend without letting Diaz make him all sixes and sevens? This is the same "GSP" that was once known, by UFC President Dana White, among others, as a mentally weak fighter. A lot has changed since then but if anybody can turn his words into weapons and get inside St. Pierre's head, it's Nick Diaz. Who's picking Diaz for the upset? Anybody? And will his pre-fight banter give him the edge no other welterweight has been able to find?

by Geno Mrosko

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive