Friday 1 July 2011

UFC 132 – Andre Winner looking to thrive under pressure against Anthony Njokuani

UFC lightweight knockout artist, Andre Winner has been speaking about his must-win fight with former WEC stand-out, Anthony Njokuani on the UFC 132 card this weekend in Las Vegas, Nevada, explaining there is pressure on him but he’s not going to let it affect him.
Speaking via ESPN.co.uk Winner said:
“I don’t feel pressure. There is pressure, but every fight I want to win. I don’t think, ‘I can afford to lose this one and then win my next one’. I never feel like that. I wanted to go through my career undefeated. That’s where the pressure comes from. Some fighters probably try to see how long they can stay in the UFC, but I want to be a champion.”
“But be realistic, they’ve got 300 fighters and only seven champions. So many guys are going to be disappointed. But I want to be a champion. If I didn’t think I could do it, I wouldn’t keep training.”
“I think he’s one of the best strikers in the lightweight division. He’s rangy, he’s very game, I’m happy with the match-up. If you let him do what he wants to do, he’s very good. But he’s an open fighter, and he’s an exciting fighter, so there are opportunities to catch him. I’m going out there to knock him out. It’s a big fight, and I’m going there to win in impressive fashion.”
This will be a do-or-die situation for Winner after losing back-to-back fights inside the octagon to Nik Lentz and Dennis Siver. Prior to that he’d defeated Roli Delgardo and Rafaello Oliveira. Stay tuned to MMABay for more build-up to this one as we get it.
By Michael Pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive