Tuesday 12 July 2011

Rashad Evans says he’s a better wrestler than Phil Davis and he plans on stopping him in Philadelphia

Rashad EvansFormer UFC light heavyweight champion, Rashad Evans has been giving his thoughts on his upcoming fight with Phil Davis early next month at UFC 133 in Philadelphia, explaining he’s the better wrestler out of the two men and he plans on finishing the fight inside the distance to prove a point.



“I’m the better wrestler inside the cage and I’ll say that for one reason, because it appears to me that Phil has a hard time with transitions from his punches to his takedowns. That makes a bigger difference between being a good wrestler inside the cage. GSP is the best wrestler inside the cage, not because he has the best credentials coming to the UFC but because he has the most seamless and flawless transitions from his punches to his takedowns … I don’t think Phil has mastered that part of his game from his transitions to his takedowns … I’m not nervous at all about him taking me down or holding me down because I roll with a lot of guys who are good at wrestling and jiu-jitsu and they can’t hold me down so I’m not really worried about Phil Davis holding me down. I think I’m just all-around faster than him. I’m gonna stop Phil Davis. I’m not sure how, but I know I’m gonna stop him.”

Evans hasn’t fought since May of last year, deciding to wait for then champion, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua to recover from an injury, only to injure himself just weeks before the fight. In stepped Jones and the rest was, as they say, history. As for Davis, he has been making waves of late, defeating the likes of Antonio Rogerio Nogueira earlier this year in a dominant display of wrestling. The NCAA credentialed fighter could be the perfect foil for Evans to test himself against with many comparing certain elements of his game to that of the champ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive