Friday 8 July 2011

Possible Epic Fight Alert: Josh Koscheck vs. Chris Leben at UFC 138 in November


Josh Koscheck posted a series of cryptic message on his Twitter page today explaining that he asked the UFC to let him have just one fight at middleweight at UFC 138 in November before he returns to compete at 170, however he didn’t name who the opponent is that he asked for.
In an interview I did with Kos a couple months ago for the latest issue of Fighters Only Magazine prior to him gaining clearance from his doctors to resume training following a serious eye injury he sustained in his last bout against UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre in December, the outspoken 33-year-old expressed his desire to become a moneyweight fighter. He named two potential opponents he’s like to face if he moved up in weight, and one of them happened to be a 185′er.
“I think I still have all the tools to compete at the highest level and I believe I have the toughness necessary to be successful and to become champion one day. I want the toughest fights. I’ll fight anybody, any time, any place,” he asserted. “Anybody who wants to fight me I’ll take on. Whether it’s Bisping at 185, Tito Ortiz at 205 — bring it on. I’m a money fighter. Show me the money and I’ll fight.”
Considering Bisping is tied up with his December showdown with Jason “Mayhem” Miller, it’s unlikely that the cocky Brit is who Koscheck had in mind.
It seems that our hunch may be correct as a source has indicated to us that Koscheck is in early discussions to possibly face his The Ultimate Fighter nemesis Chris Leben, whom he defeated on the first season of the show by unanimous decision.

Although at first glance the bout may not make sense from a rankings standpoint, when you consider that the UFC uses it’s own ranking system and sets its own contendership requirements, it really won’t matter to either fighter. It’s a fun fight that will have widespread interest and will undoubtedly set the bar for pre-fight trash talk. I know I want to see it.
Who knows, maybe Kos will even bring in Bobby Southworth to help corner him for the bout for old time’s sake.
UFC 138 will take place at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California and will feature a main event heavyweight championship bout between Koscheck’s American Kickboxing Academy teammate Cain Velasquez and number one contender Junior dos Santos. Also on the card will be a welterweight rematch between another of Kos’ AKA training partners, Jon Fitch and former UFC lightweight and welterweight champ BJ Penn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive