Wednesday 13 July 2011

Miesha Tate plans on throwing Marloes Coenen a curveball on July 30th

Strikeforce 135 pound women’s number one contender, Miesha Tate has been giving her thoughts on her upcoming July 30th showdown with Marloes Coenen in Chicago, Illinois, explaining she’s evolved so much over the past few months that she’s a very different fighter.
Speaking via MMAJunkie.com, Tate said:
“I’m not a fan of big layoffs. I prefer to stay busy, fighting every couple of months. But in this case, I really think it’s going to benefit me because of my change of camps. About a year ago, I moved to Sacramento, and I’ve been training with Team Alpha Male, and I feel like I’ve evolved so much as a fighter that her watching video on the fighter I used to be, she’s going to be preparing for the fighter I was a year ago, and I’m really, really not. That’s not the case. I’ve worked so hard. I think she’s in for a surprise.”
“For her last fight, I wasn’t too impressed. Maybe the weight cut is wearing on her. I think it’s probably hard for her to stay close to that weight, so she’s probably on a negative calorie diet most of her camp, which takes a lot of energy and whatnot, and it takes away from your practices a little bit to stay so close. She’s really, really lean at that weight, so I’m not sure if that’s really healthy for her.”
“I think she still has a rough cut, so I think we’re kind of seeing that the longer she stays at 135. It’s kind of taking away from her a little bit. But I’m expecting that she’s going to come the best we’ve ever seen her. I have to be prepared for the best Marloes we’ve ever seen, and that’s definitely what I’m hoping for.”
“I’m hoping that Marloes comes just as ready as I am. As much as I would love to come there and knock her out in 10 seconds, for the big picture, I want both of us to come out there and battle it out and show what women’s MMA is really all about. I feel like we’re both very talented, well-rounded, good representations of women’s MMA, and I want to put on a fantastic fight that people really notice, and it raises the bar of what people think women’s MMA is all about.”
Tate won a one-night, four-woman tournament at Strikeforce Challengers 10 to be named the number one contender at 135 pounds. She is currently on a five-fight winning streak going into this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive