Friday 24 June 2011

UFC on Versus 4 – Nate Marquardt: “Rick Story doesn’t know that I’m in a different league”

Former UFC middleweight title contender, Nate Marquardt has been giving his thoughts on his upcoming UFC on Versus 4 main event clash with top prospect in the welterweight division, Rick Story, explaining the man dubbed “The Horror” will be in for a shock when the two do battle inside the octagon.
Speaking via MMAFighting.com, Marquardt said:
“I feel I could get the title shot and get the title at 185. If that opportunity ever arises, I’ll go do that. But for now, I’m going to stay at this weight, at my walking around weight. I’m not going to try to bulk up anymore. I just want to stay here. I feel I had a strength advantage at 185 [pounds]. It doesn’t really matter who I go against, I feel that I’m almost always going to be stronger. The fact that I haven’t lost any strength going down means it’s only more so.”
“I think the fact that Rick Story just beat Thiago Alves, who was considered a former number one contender, that’s a pretty big deal. I can’t really think of anyone [Anthony] Johnson beat like that. Not saying that he’s not tough, but their records, Story has that and Johnson doesn’t.”
“I expect him to come forward the whole time and kind of try to make it a dirty fight, because I think he knows that I’m going to be better in most areas. I think he’ll probably have a similar game plan as he did against Thiago Alves, really.”
“That’s a good feeling to know that I know a lot more than this guy. The fact that he’s this young up-and-comer, to me that just means that he doesn’t know that I’m in a different league. He’s going to have problems that way.”
Marquardt has been inconsistent of late at 185 pounds, losing to the likes of Chael Sonnen and Yushin Okami while managing to defeat Rousimar Palhares and Dan Miller. He hopes that a move down in weight will see him enjoy a big size advantage over his opponents as he looks to capture UFC gold.

By Michael Pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive