Wednesday 22 June 2011

Fabricio Werdum blames knee injury and Alistair Overeem for the farce in Dallas, Texas

Brazilian heavyweight submission machine, Fabricio Werdum has blamed not only a knee injury picked up in the second round but Alistair Overeem as well for turning their fight in Dallas, Texas into a farce, explaining the big Dutchman just didn’t want to go to the ground with him like any well rounded mixed martial artist would have.
Speaking via R7.com, Werdum said:
“If you look well, you’ll see that my knee got out of place in the beginning of the second round. It hurt so much, it was difficult to get up and it took a little of my focus. I will have an MRI scan and see whether it is serious and when I will be able to train.
“I should have had more faith in my stand-up, listened to [coach] Rafael Cordeiro. Strategically he (Overeem) was better. Perhaps, if I hadn’t pulled the guard so many times, I would have won.
“He didn’t want to go to the ground with me at all but it is an MMA fight, you have to do the ground game as well. I think it is funny that [opponents] call me to go at them and I do, but when I call them to the mat, nobody does.”
Werdum will now need to pick himself up and dust himself off following this latest defeat and make himself relevant once again in the eyes of the MMA world if he’s to receive a recall to the UFC ranks down the line. Stay tuned to MMABay for news on when and where he’ll return as we get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive