Wednesday 29 June 2011

Charles Oliveira happy to deliver on his “Fight of the Night” promise, happy to fight anyone inside the octagon next

UFC lightweight wizz-kid, Charles Oliveira has been giving further food for thought on his UFC on Versus 4 win over Nik Lentz this past weekend in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, explaining he was happy to deliver on his pre-fight promise before adding he’d be happy to do it again.
Speaking via MMAJunkie.com, Oliveira said:
“The first round was very good. I got him to fight my style. We knew he wanted to get me up against the fence or take me down and hold me down. Instead, he was fighting my style – very fast, a lot of striking, a lot of good action. I believe he was out of his game, trying to beat me at my own style.”
“It’s very hard to keep up with a fighter when you fight the other fighter’s style. This was the plan – make it fast and push the pace. I even told you in the interview June 19 that I was going to make Nik an exciting fighter. The second round was going great for me. I was getting stronger, and Nik was slowing down, I even had him on his back.”
Oliveira also spoke about the illegal knee he through as the second round wore on, a knee many believe handed him the win as he choked Lentz out just a few seconds later.
“I had been drilling that when someone shoots on me, to throw the knee. He was getting up, and it was in the heat of battle. I was fighting my fight and feeling strong. I assumed it was a legal knee when the ref did not stop it. It is very hard to officiate MMA, but if the referee saw an illegal knee, Nik should have been asked if he could continue, and I should have been warned. Those are the rules.”
“I will respect what ever the UFC and athletic commission decides. I wish the referee would have given Nik a chance to recover so we could have finished a very fun and exciting fight. As for a rematch, I do not pick my fights. Whoever they want me to fight, I fight. Thanks to Nik for making an exciting fight. Thanks to all my fans. I promised you all a ‘Fight of the Night,’ and that’s exactly what you got.”
The Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission will likely decide tomorrow on whether or not to reverse the decision and declare the fight a no-contest in light of the illegal knee that was landed. What will be the decision? Will the result be upheld? Make sure you tune in to MMABay for news on this as it breaks.
By Michael Pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive