Thursday 26 May 2011

UFC 133: Mike Brown won't 'throw up and die' against Nam Phan on Aug. 6

Photo
Train hard! Well, not too hard.
Former WEC Featherweight Champion Mike Brown, who at one point looked like the scariest 145-pounder on earth, is now fighting for job security after a dismal start to his 2011 fight campaign that saw him drop back-to-back contests to Diego Nunes (UFC 125) and Rani Yahya (UFC Fight for the Troops 2).
In fact, the American Top Team standout is 2-6 since coughing up his 145-pound strap to Jose Aldo at WEC 44 in late 2009, including a shocking knockout loss to Manny Gamburyan at WEC 48 just a couple of months later.
His defeat to "Manvil" had UFC President Dana White reveal a litany of personal problems for Brown, including a messy break-up with his girlfriend that led to an absence in training camp.
The 35-year-old mixed martial artist tells Beatdown Radio (via Sherdog.com) he was "overtrained" and suffering from fatigue:
"It was so frustrating, and it’s not fun. That’s when fights are not fun is when you get exhausted like that. If you’re feeling good and you’re getting picked apart, it almost doesn’t even bother you as much. ... But when you’re just feeling like, ‘I want to throw up and die,’ that’s not a good feeling. I think I was overtrained. I was training really hard and I was getting really tired in both fights for some reason, which isn’t usually the case for me. I was pretty upset. I talked to some doctors and some exercise physiologists because it was pretty bad. It felt like I was getting more and more out of shape as the fight was coming closer, which didn’t make any sense because I never really let off the gas. You just have to know your body. Sometimes you can push it too much, especially if you’re really excited about a fight. I haven’t been fighting well. I know I gotta win. This is it, man. I’m going to train hard and I’ll be ready. We’ll see what happens, but I’m confident. If I perform like I should, we should be all right."
Brown (24-8) will try to redeem himself against Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 12 darling Nam Phan when the promotion heads to "The City of Brotherly Love" for UFC 133: "Evans vs. Davis" on Aug. 6 in Philadelphia.
Is this his last stand?
We've seen Brown at his best and we've also seen him at his worst. Would a third straight loss all but guarantee his pink slip? Or can an impressive performance against a gamer like Phan keep him afloat in the featherweight division?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive