Tuesday 31 May 2011

UFC 130's Johnson says advantages in striking, wrestling earned nod over Torres

The boo birds of UFC 130 warmed up their vocal chords with the announcement of Demetrious Johnson's unanimous decision win over former WEC champ Miguel Torres.

Online, the opposition was more clearly expressed. Fans felt Torres' constant submission threats outweighed Johnson's takedowns and top control on the ground.

Johnson (10-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) disagrees. Whether it be in the grappling or striking departments of the fight, he believes he did more, and did more with less at his disposal.

Johnson said Torres badly hurt his leg by checking a kick in the first round. He informed his coach Matt Hume about the injury between rounds but promised to do his job. Meanwhile, Torres continued to attack.

"He's taller (with) a 77-inch reach," Johnson said. "[I have] 66. I was pushing forward and I was hurt."

The former WEC champ made it difficult for Johnson to mobilize an offense when the action hit the ground, which served as the root of fans' anger at the decision. With constant submission threats, it seemed like "Mighty Mouse" was merely hanging on rather than winning points.

Johnson, though, said he was in control. And when it came to dealing with Torres' massive reach advantage, he made do.

"I don't think he hit me once on the feet," he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Not once. And on the ground, I controlled the top in the wrestling. There's two aspects of the game right there.

"He was throwing submissions, but he couldn't finish me. I passed guard and I kept coming. I was hurt. I never backed up. I always came forward, so that's my argument right there."

It's the second big-time win for Johnson, who's win streak now stands at four with wins over Torres and Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto in his previous outing.

Asked whether he might be in line for a top contender that would open the door to a title shot, Johnson deferred to his employers.

"That's up to the UFC," he said. "My job is just to come here and fight and go back to the gym and get better. So it's up to Dana White and (UFC matchmakers) Joe Silva and Sean Shelby."

While not everyone agrees on how the bout was scored, Johnson is content that he did enough to win.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive