Thursday 26 May 2011

Strikeforce: KJ Noons vs Jorge Masvidal fight for title shot against Gilbert Melendez on June 18

Photo
Confirmed ... apparently.
K.J. Noons recently spoke with MMAWeekly and spilled the beans on the plan for the seriously stagnant Strikeforce lightweight division:
"This is for the No. 1 contender, and then I get a title shot. That's it for sure. I was actually supposed to get a shot back last year, but that opportunity came up to fight (Nick) Diaz, they asked me if I would move up to fight for the title, and a lot of people wanted to see that, so I said sure no problem so we made it happen. Now I'm back in my original weight class, and I'm just going to put on exciting fights."
The fight he is referring to is a June 18 bout in Dallas, Texas at Strikeforce: "Overeem vs. Werdum" against a very game(bred) Jorge Masvidal.
This will only mark the second lightweight contest for Noons under the Strikeforce banner, the first being a crushing second round knockout win over Jorge Gurgel in Aug. 2010.
As for Masvidal, he holds just two 155-pound wins with the promotion spread over three years; a decision win over Ryan Healy in 2008 and a three-round beatdown of Billy Evangelista just this past March.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive