Sunday 22 May 2011

Randy Couture says he’s going to remain retired despite going back to training last week at Xtreme Couture

UFC “Hall of Famer” Randy Couture has explained that despite getting back in the gym at the Xtreme Couture facility in Las Vegas, Nevada last week he’s going to remain retired and begin to carve out a new chapter in his life away from the world famous octagon.
Speaking via MMAFighting.com Couture said:
“Everyone was scratching their heads looking at me going, ‘You know, this is how rumors get started.’ I don’t know what a ‘retired fighter’ feels like. I feel great. I’m happy where I’m at in life. I think it was the right time to stop competing. I think I’ll always train and I’ll always be working with the guys and working in the sport in some capacity, but it was the right time for me to bow out of the octagon. I know there will be some bridges to cross. I think they will try to tempt me to come back in, but I’m comfortable with my decision. It’s the right time for me.”
“It’s always hard when you go to shows and you’re around fights and fighters to not get antsy, to not feel like you want to train. Those are the real tests and challenges. I’ve just had an amazing run for 14 years. It’s been a blast. I’m excited to have been part of all of it. I fought a bunch of tough guys. In some ways I’m excited and relieved that chapter’s closed, and this new one is opening.”
Couture has emerged from retirement twice in the past, most famously to fell the six-foot-eight heavyweight champion, Tim Sylvia with his very first punch before dominating him for five rounds. Is this it for “The Natural” or will the lure of competition prove to be too much even at the ripe age of 47?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive