Thursday 26 May 2011

K.J. Noons reveals his fight with Jorge Masvidal will be a number one contenders shootout

Former EliteXC 160 pound champion, K.J. Noons has revealed that his upcoming June 18th clash with Jorge Masvidal in Dallas, Texas will be for a shot at the lightweight title, explaining it would have happened before now if he hadn’t moved up in weight to take on Nick Diaz.
Speaking via MMAWeekly.com, Noons said:
“This is for the No. 1 contender for the 155, and then I get a title shot. I was actually supposed to get a shot back last year, but that opportunity came up to fight (Nick) Diaz, they asked me if I would move up to fight for the title, and a lot of people wanted to see that, so I said sure no problem so we made it happen. Now I’m back in my original weight class, and I’m just going to put on exciting fights.”
Noons also gave his thoughts on current lightweight champion, Gilbert Melendez, saying as far as he’s concerned he’s the best fighter in the division right now.
“I think he’s a great champ, I think he is truly ranked No. 1, and he is the No. 1 ranked 155lber out there. But I have to say, I know he’s probably shooting for trying to unify the belts or fight somebody else because he knows and I know it wasn’t no gimme that last 170lb title shot.”
Noons will be looking to get back to winning ways after coming up short in his quest for Strikeforce welterweight gold when he took on Nick Diaz for the title at the back end of last year. Prior to that he’d strung together a six fight winning streak including picking up the Elite XC 160 pound title.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive