Tuesday 12 April 2011

UFC 129: Georges St. Pierre training with Roger Gracie and Braulio Estima to prepare for Jake Shields on April 30

Georges_st_pierre_5_medium
You know the old saying, when in Rome ...
UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre will defend his 170-pound title against division number one contender Jake Shields in the main event of UFC 129 on April 30 in Toronto.
Shields is widely recognized as one of the best submission fighters in all of mixed martial arts.
To that end, St. Pierre is taking his act on the road, traveling to London to train with his friends Roger Gracie and Braulio Estima, who just so happen to be a couple of the world's best grapplers.
All part of the plan, according to "Rush" (via Mirror TKO):
"Jake Shields is probably the best fighter in my weight class on the floor. The best way to get ready for a guy who is that good in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is to find and to train with the best Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu guys here in London. Roger Gracie is here, he's the best in the world, Braulio Estima, plus I have other guys I train with who are world-class that can give me a better training in jiu-jitsu than in Canada. I have a lot of training partners and a lot of friends all around the world, but I'm friends with Roger and Braulio and especially for this fight, I want to make sure my ground game is sharp so I don't get caught in a submission hold and maybe I will be able to submit my opponent. That's why I'm here, to train with the best."
GSP is training with the best, but will his best be good enough on April 30?
Shields (26-4-1) is one of the hottest fighters in the sport right now, winning 15 fights in a row dating back to 2004. A champion at both welterweight and middleweight, the Cesar Gracie-student has defeated the likes of Dan Henderson, Paul Daley, Martin Kampmann, Robbie Lawler and Jason Miller.
He even defeated both Yushin Okami and Carlos Condit in the same night back in 2006.
Of course fans and pundits alike give the Shields who huffed-and-puffed his way through his UFC debut against "The Hitman" little chance of dethroning the champ, but it only takes one mistake on the ground to end the bout.
Will Roger Gracie and Braulio Estima keep St. Pierre mistake free on fight night?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive