Friday 28 January 2011

Matt Hughes: 'I don't know if I'll sign another contract with the UFC'

Matt_hughes-thumb-572xauto-202247_medium
Props: ESPN
Quoteworthy:
"I don't know if I'll sign another contract with the UFC. I would have to talk to my wife. I'd have to talk to Dana. I wouldn't call it a retirement. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for me to fight two or three times. I have said I'm going to fight one more time for the last three fights. I meant it. I really have."
Could this be the end of the long and storied career of Matt Hughes? According to the former welterweight champion, he's unsure of whether or not he wants to sign a new contract with the UFC. With his current deal running out after his next fight, that would mean the powerhouse wrestler is calling it a career, no? He says that's not necessarily the case and he could see himself fighting a few more times. Any competitor in a sport as taxing as MMA would consider hanging up the gloves when they hit the age of 37, but is this talk heavily influenced by his recent knockout at the hands of longtime nemesis B.J. Penn? Or is the timing right for Hughes to ease out of the game?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive