Wednesday 26 January 2011

Despite quick UFN 23 win, DaMarques Johnson not celebrating

DaMarques Johnson (12-8 MMA, 3-2 UFC) says the body triangle he applied to Mike Guymon (12-5-1 MMA, 1-3 UFC) was simply a tool for freeing his hand so he could punch with it.

But when Guymon tapped to the hold and rolled onto his side in pain, Johnson was both surprised and disappointed. He didn't expect the fight the end that way, and he wanted to fight on. It just happened so fast.

He's also bummed that he hurt Guymon on his way to victory.

"Bumps and bruises and blood is cool and all, but spinal injuries and stuff like that are 'no bueno' for anybody in the sport," Johnson recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio).

The two fought this past Saturday at "UFC Fight Night 23: UFC Fight for the Troops 2," which was held at Fort Hood in Texas and served as a fundraiser for the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund.

The win put Johnson  back on the winning track after suffering a TKO loss to Matt Riddle this past August at "UFC on Versus 2: Jones vs. Matyushenko."

But it came with a price. Just prior to the Johnson's appearance on MMAjunkie.com Radio, Guymon also came on to confirm that he sustained injuries to his ribs and back. He also announced his decision to retire from active competition.

The veteran of "The Ultimate Fighter 9" groaned when he heard the news of the injuries.

"That sucks," Johnson said.

Ironically, the tools Johnson felt he had showcased well – wrestling and overall strength – contributed to the damage. Guymon, he said, tried to trap his hand after he gained back mount, and that's when he tried to give incentive to free his mitt by applying the body triangle. He heard Guymon yell tap and elected to signal the referee, who intervened shortly thereafter.

Even though he was happy to have gotten the win, he didn't really feel like celebrating inside the octagon.

"I think if I would sold it like I intended to do something like that, or the douchebaggery (of) jumping around and pretending like I'm holier than thou in the grappling realm, I might have sold myself for a bonus," he said. "But that's just not my style."

What's next for "Darkness"?

It's also not Johnson's style to call out his next opponent, though as of late several fighters have gotten desired fights by giving interviews or taking to Twitter.

"I'll probably take a week off, then get back to work on the things that I suck at," he said. "If I get a phone call, I get a phone call. I'll be stoked. I'm not the one to shy away, ever."

Actually, there is one person he wants to fight.

"I would like to fight DaMarques Johnson," he joked. "That kid looks like a punk-ass, and I'll bet you I can whip his ass. I would bust him. His jiu-jitsu is lame. He hits like a 125-pound sissy."

Seriously, though, the cliché is true. He'll fight whoever the UFC puts in front of him.

"Honestly, it's weird, but I just don't care," Johnson said. "Getting punched in the face by Nick Diaz would be just the same as getting punched by Robbie Lawler. It all just sucks. It's all face punches.

"There's nobody that I feel overly compelled, or 'Oh, you called my mom an astronaut' or whatever. It's just not my deal. At this stage? It's UFC set up the fight, pay me the money, and it's on."

Good to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive