Tuesday 15 January 2013

Javier Vazquez retires from MMA

"I don't see a need nor a want to fight anymore. I feel like whether you like me or you hate me, people respect me. I do have fights left on my contract, but I just don't want to do it. I didn't want to be that guy that everyone is begging to retire. I did everything in my career on my terms. When I got back to the locker room after the Stevenson fight, I just knew I had nothing left. I had nothing left to prove. I knew my knee and my body had definitely had enough. I didn't want to do it. I just didn't want to do it anymore. The fear of stepping into the cage is just the fear I didn't want to experience anymore. I felt that technically it was the best I had ever been, mentally the best I'd ever been. Physically I'd had better days, but I was making it work. I'd modified my game and made adjustments in my style so that the injuries were almost hidden. I just don't want to fight anymore. I (wanted) to officially announce my retirement. I knew, I just didn't know how to say it and when to say it. I had nothing left to give anymore. I had nothing physically left to give."

Vazquez tells Sherdog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive