Tuesday 29 November 2011

Chris Leben suspended after failing drug test following UFC 138


Chris Leben has been suspended for one year by the UFC for failing his drug test following his loss to Mark Munoz at UFC 138 this past Nov. 5, 2011, in Birmingham, England.
Leben tested positive for Oxycodone and Oxymorphine, two prescription painkillers.
Here's what UFC President Dana White had to say about the personal demons that have plagued Leben throughout his mixed martial arts career:
"I like Chris and I want him to do well, but based on his actions, he's been suspended for one year. If he needs professional help, we are going to be there for him. We want to see him succeed not only in the Octagon, but in his personal life."
This is the second time Leben has failed a drug test, the first coming after his unanimous decision loss to Michael Bisping following UFC 89 back in Oct. 2008.
That event, perhaps coincidentally, was also held in Birmingham, England.
Included in the UFC report announcing the drug test failure is a statement from Leben himself, who takes responsibility for his actions and accepts the punishment handed down to him.
"I would like to make it known that I fully accept this suspension and apologize for embarrassing the UFC, my friends and family, and sport of mixed martial arts. I'm learning that I'm my own worst enemy sometimes. I can't succeed in the Octagon or in life behaving this way. I've got to make some real changes over the next year and I'm going to focus on getting my life and career back on track. Again, I'm sorry to the UFC and fans that've supported me since my days on The Ultimate Fighter."

source:sbnation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive