Sunday 23 September 2012

History was made at UFC 152: as Demetrious Johnson becomes the first ever flyweight championship

Johnson won a close split decision over Joseph Benavidez to capture the inaugural UFC flyweight championship in the co-main event of UFC 152 at the Air Canada Centre Saturday.

“It means the world,”

 Johnson told interviewer Joe Rogan:
“I still have to improve on a lot of things.
“I said if I became the champion, the same thing would happen, I would head home and get ready for the next battle.”

Fans expecting a high-octane war were instead treated to a very tight, technical fight. These two could probably fight for 100 rounds without a knockout or submission.

After five close rounds, the judges scored it 48-47, 47-48, 49-46 for Johnson, causing a disappointed Benavidez to leave the octagon.
Johnson said he was surprised one judge scored the bout against him.
“I was a little shocked,” Johnson said.
“I took him down a lot more. He didn’t even take me down once. I controlled him and took his back.”
“Joseph is a great competitor,” Johnson said. “I trained hard. I dedicate a lot to this sport.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive