Wednesday 14 December 2011

Wanderlei about TUF: "This is one of the most expected rematches in all history!"

Not only the choice of the coaches of “The Ultimate Fighter” messes with Wanderlei Silva’s mind. It’s not only about being on the reality show, which will be broadcasted in open television, but also because he’s fighting Vitor Belfort, head-coach of the opponent team, at the end of the season. On funny interview to TATAME, this TIesday (13th), “The Axe Murderer” says he’ll display discipline as he leads the house, talks about the rematch with the countryman, the goal of helping people and a lot more.

“Martial arts are about respect, discipline, posture. People will have to sign a deal on which they say that if they mess up with me, it’ll get ugly (laughs)”. The fighter, who wants the rematch the “The Phenom” to be on Morumbi stadium, in Sao Paulo, highlights the chance of presenting to Brazilian people the daily routine of a MMA fighter.

“The main idea is to show how is the life and the trainings of a fighter, make them focus and don’t get disturbed by the cameras or anything else, stay focused on the training.That’s what I did on my last fight: I tried not to get so excited about the cameras the big screens, the fans, otherwise you lose focus”. Check bellow the complete interview.

You’re going to be one of the TUF’s coaches. Are you excited about it?

Of course. I knew it for a week, the boss talked to me back in Vegas, but I couldn’t say because it was a surprise, but I’m really happy about it.

How are the expectations, since you’re living for a long time on the United States and will now be on a reality show in Brazil?

The expectations are great. The main idea is to show how is the life and the trainings of a fighter, make them focus and don’t get disturbed by the cameras or anything else, stay focused on the training. All athletes there I believe have a certain experience, so don’t let it get to them. That’s what I did on my last fight: I tried not to get so excited about the cameras the big screens, the fans, otherwise you lose focus. It’s a show, but they’re all there with one goal and I believe they need to focus to make it come true.

What about your rivalry with Vitor? Will it help you at some point?

There’re many things they do on the American show that I particularly don’t think it’s nice. I believe we gotta sell the sport as it is. Martial arts are about respect, discipline, posture. And that’s what they’ll see happening here, but it’s not going to be messy. Not in my side, at least. But people will have to sign a deal on which they say that if they mess up with me, it’ll get ugly (laughs).

When did you know it?

Like a week, ten days ago. The boss came to talk to me, asked me if I wanted to be one of the coaches and I said “of course”.

You wanted to fight Vitor for a long time and now you’ll have the chance. How are the expectations?

The best possible. I believe I’m in a good place in my career, I’m a lot focused, I’m dedicating a lot and I guess it came on the right time. It’s been so long, and we’re not fighting in the same city anymore, because we fought in Sao Paulo, but it’ll show how the event has changed. As Vitor said himself, the last time we didn’t even have locker-rooms, so I warmed up on the bathroom, and now we have a big structure. That’s what happened with the sport.

How will be the feeling to see a guy from your team beating someone of Vitor Belfort’s team?

I wanna show the good side of the martial arts, show the positive aspects of practicing martial arts and make it popular to people who has never watched MMA in their lives, and maybe help people who do many things wrong, like doing crack and other drugs. Sometimes it happens because the guy doesn’t have anything to do, his friend starts doing it and he goes and does it. I guess we gotta bring these guys from the bad side and show them some things that are good, that’s my mission.

How will you deal with their psychological?

I’m not a therapist (laughs). I don’t know.

Dana White said this rematch can happen on a soccer stadium…

Why not? I don’t know about it. I saw it on the internet too (laughs). It’d be perfect.

You said there won’t be mess around you at TUF’s house. Will you preach discipline?

No. Discipline is a part of martial arts. People used to say one thing and now they’re saying the opposite. I guess all martial artists must have a good posture, be respectful, and I’ll be hoping that.

Who would you like to work with?

I’m talking to them to check their schedules, but it’s a secret.

You’re a guy who says what’s on your mind. Have you thought about it, since you’ll be live in open television?

I hope I don’t say bullshit (laughs). I came from nothing and I believe people will see themselves in me. I really don’t mind about cameras, I’m always real. I have the good feeling of having conquered it all on the sport, people know my name all over the world, so it won’t change my life if more people will know my name or not. What I wanna do is try to change the lives of the ones who’ll be watching, try to set an example, a role model. Now I’m not focused on the money, I’m focused on people.

 source: tatame.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive