Thursday 8 September 2011

Carlos Condit honored to fight Georges St. Pierre for the welterweight title

"The timing was perfect for this to all come together. First I want to thank the UFC for allowing me this opportunity and also my agent Malki Kawa who saw an opening and took advantage of it. With me already fighting on that card, I will need to make some adjustments to get ready for a new opponent, but my actual training is still right on schedule. It's an honor to be able to fight for the championship, especially against one of the legends of our sport in Georges St-Pierre. I've been fighting for nearly a decade and there has been a lot of blood, sweat and tears that has gone into that. A lot of sacrifices have been made both personally and professionally, and I'm looking forward to showing the UFC that I am deserving of this opportunity."

-- Shortly after it was announced that Nick Diaz had been removed from the main event of UFC 137 on Oct. 29 in Las Vegas, Nevada it was revealed that stepping in to replace him for a welterweight championship fight against Georges St. Pierre would be Carlos Condit. "The Natural Born Killer" has been working his way through the 170-pound ranks with a quiet efficiency, piling up bodies and "Knockout of the Night" awards along the way. A combination of timing, good luck and social anxiety has led to his earning a chance at one of the pound-for-pound best fighters on the planet and one of the most prestigious titles in the world. For all that, he is "honored" and looking forward to showing he deserves to be put in this spot. Sorry, B.J. Penn, Condit has bigger fish to fry.


source:sbnation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive