Thursday 4 August 2011

Strikeforce: Yoel Romero will 'go for the kill' against Rafael Cavalcante on Sep. 10

Romero__20yoel_large
Stop me if you've heard this one: Another wrestler is making the foray into mixed martial arts (MMA).
In this particular case, the wrestler is Yoel Romero Palacio (who goes by simply Yoel Romero). Strikeforce recently signed Romero to a five-fight deal -- but his first fight with the promotion will be no cakewalk.
On Sep. 10 at the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix Semifinals in Cincinnati, Ohio, Romero will take on former Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Champion Rafael Cavalcante.
The fight will be the first for "Feijao" since losing his belt to current 205-pound champion Dan Henderson back on Mar. 5 and the Brazilian will be looking to get some redemption against his newly-signed opponent.
So who is this Romero guy, you ask?


The Cuban born fighter was a top level wrestler, having competed in the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney, Australia, where he was able to win the silver medal in the freestyle competition.
Not too shabby.
Romero is also currently 4-0 as an MMA fighter and has won all four of his fights by knockout (KO) or technical knockout (TKO).
So why the move from wrestling to MMA?
"When I retired from wrestling, I still had a drive in me to compete. I saw a lot of wrestlers were moving into MMA and doing well so it became a natural progression. My wrestling has given me a huge advantage in MMA. I'm very difficult to take down so it is really hard for guys who are mostly Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) guys to fight with me."
Romero spoke about his Cuban heritage, as well as his relationship with compatriot and current Bellator Fighting Championships middleweight champion Hector Lombard.
"It (my Cuban heritage) is who I am and everything I know. Hector and I grew up together as kids in Cuba. I think he is a great fighter who I respect greatly. I'm sure once I get to the United States, we will serve as good sparring partners for each other."
Yoel believes that he will not merely compete with Feijao, but that he will definitively beat him when they square off on Sep. 10.
"I don't believe in thinking anything but that I will win. You can't go into a fight thinking you are going to lose. I believe in myself and my abilities and I'm ready to prove to the world that I have what it takes to compete at this level. My ultimate goal as an MMA fighter is to be a world champion. I like to go for the kill."
In closing, Yoel wanted to thank his family, friends and his management.
"Thank you and thanks to all my family, friends and fans for your support, my management team, ML Management, Tina and Ray, and all my coaches and training team."
Make sure you check out his debut as well as the rest of the card on Sep. 10 on Showtime at 11 pm ET. In the meantime, let's hear your predictions for this 205-pound slugfest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive